12 Best Methods on How to Get Rid of Body Odor Permanently; We have written on bad breath problem. We mentioned several tricks and methods to get rid of bad breath. And today, we’ll talk on body odors. Body odors are sickly embarrassing. They are usually the reason you stay away from intimate relationships and feel unconfident about meeting new people. Many of us often conclude that it is caused by excessive sweating. But what really causes body odor is the process when your sweat mixes with the bacteria that grow naturally on your skin.
Some other causes of offensive body odor include poor hygiene, nutrient deficiencies, gastrointestinal problems like chronic constipation, and underlying medical problems, such as genetic metabolic disorders, liver disease, or diabetes.
The primary symptom of body odor is an unusual, pungent smell arising from the body. Other symptoms include excessive sweating, weight loss, night sweats and cold hands.
We know how important it is to keep your body smelling good and fresh all day long, especially when you are out to meet people and mingle with them. Hence, to answer the question on how to get rid of body odor permanently, we will be unveiling 12 best methods that can prevent it from occurring in the first place and treat it if it occurs.
Body odor can be treated with over-the-counter medicines or by practicing good hygiene. There are also simple and natural methods that indicate how to get rid of body odor permanently by controlling the growth of bacteria and reducing excessive sweating.
Here are the 12 best methods of eliminating body odor permanently.
Avoid Foods that Cause Body Odor
Did you know that certain foods can produce bodily odors long after mealtime? One way to reduce these odors is to cut back on the amount of meat in our diets. You don’t have to give up meat entirely, but if you eat a mostly vegetarian diet, you can help neutralize troublesome odors. In particular, green vegetables like spinach, kale, and wheatgrass are high in chlorophyll, a natural deodorizer.
2. Exfoliate Your Skin Regularly
“To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear- Buddha.”
Exfoliating the skin frequently is a very simple way on how to get rid of body odor permanently and fast. The dead skin cells can cause excessive sweating and bacterial growth in the area. Eventually, this will result in a fishy, foul odor emanating from the area. Exfoliation has the capacity to alleviate the dead skin cells, thereby preventing odor and bacterial buildup in the process. You can exfoliate the skin with a good sugar scrub in the groin, armpits, and other sweat producing regions of the body. This process has to be followed once every week. In fact, you won’t need to worry about this problem after following this method.
Regularly Take Your Bath or shower
Since bacteria reacting with sweat produced by your sweat glands causes body odor, it is important to bath or shower regularly. Use a gentle, plant-oil based soap and lather up. The greater the amount of lather and the longer you lather up, the more effective you are likely to be in removing bacteria from your skin.
- Not all soap is antibacterial, nor do you necessarily need antibacterial soap. Try using peppermint castile soap when you shower. Peppermint oil is mildly antiseptic and can help fight body odor.
- Although soap-and-water showers are best, rinsing the skin with water is better than nothing. Scrubbing with sand or even just a washcloth helps dislodge bacteria and oils is even more effective. This can be an issue in situations like camping.
Dry Your Body Completely
This is another unknown trick to prevent and get rid of body odor. After taking your shower, you should towel off the areas that are prone to sweating and bacteria like we mentioned earlier. This is crucial as dry areas usually make it harder for the bacteria to breed.
- Avoid using cornstarch as a dusting powder. Many physicians believe that cornstarch can be used as “fungi food.” Instead, use unscented talcum powder.
Drink Plenty of Water
Water is an excellent solvent that flushes all the toxins from the body. Water is the most neutral substance and reduces the formation of bacteria in the intestines. Drinking around 8 to 10 glasses of water daily will help keep the skin healthy, hydrated and odor-free.
6. Use Natural Deodorants & Antiperspirants
Now you can get antiperspirants & deodorants available in the market. You should go for the best and famous brand because the quality of the product will be good and their smell will stay in the body for a longer time. The aluminum chloride in antiperspirant is very good for lowering sweat in the body. Besides, you can also consider using natural alternatives such as rosewater, tea tree oil, witch hazel, and lavender oil, etc because these natural scents and deodorants can eliminate body odor without harming the skin in the process.
7. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is a powerful bacteria-fighting ingredient. It also helps eliminate body odor by balancing the pH level of your skin.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and rub it on your underarms. Wait two to three minutes and then take your shower. Follow this remedy twice daily, once in the morning and again before going to bed, until you notice improvement.
- Alternatively, add one cup of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm bath water. Soak in this water for 10 minutes once daily.
- You can also add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar along with a little honey to a glass of warm water. Drink it three times daily before eating your meals.
8. Use Baking Soda for Body Odor
Did you know that baking soda can remove body odor? Baking soda also called sodium is often used as a great antiseptic property for deodorizing products. According to researchers at the University of Oklahoma in the US, using baking soda daily as a natural deodorant, confirming both its efficacy and safety in reducing body odor. The deodorizing effect of baking soda acts by changing the pH levels of the bacteria causing the unpleasant smell. Thus, how to get rid of body odor with baking soda? Try following the procedure below:
You need to prepare:
- A tsp of baking soda
- A tsp of cornstarch
You just need to combine the above ingredients together to make a solution. Later apply the solution on the affected regions daily. Also, you can apply this mixture on your toes prior to wearing your shoes or socks.
You need to prepare:
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
For this remedy, in 1 bowl, you mix the above things to attain a thick paste. Then, apply this resultant paste on the affected regions and wait for a couple of minutes. Finally, with the help of lukewarm water, rinse the paste off and end with a shower. Follow this easy procedure every day to naturally and quickly get rid of body odor.
Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is great for treating body odor. The acidic property of lemon juice helps lower the skin’s pH level, which in turn makes it difficult for odor-producing bacteria to survive.
- Cut one fresh lemon into two halves. Rub one half of the lemon on your underarms. Make sure the juice gets onto your skin. Allow it to dry on its own, and then take your shower. Follow this remedy once daily until the odor is gone completely.
- If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute the juice from half a lemon in one-half cup of water and apply it to your underarms using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Do this once daily until you notice improvement.
10. How to Get Rid Of Body Odor Permanently With Turnips
Being loaded with vitamin C as well as other nutrients, turnips help to fight against body odor effectively. In addition, they can help to murder the bacteria causing body odor too. Here’s how to get rid of body odor with the aid of turnips.
You need to prepare:
- 1 turnip
- 1 sieve
- 1 blender
Firstly, you take 1 blender and crush the turnip in it to get a paste. Then, extract the turnip juice with the help of a sieve and afterward, apply to the odorous regions of your body using this juice. Reapply once a day to eliminate the body odor quickly.
How to Get Rid of Body Odor Permanently with Licorice Root Extract
Here’s an interesting fact about the same ingredient commonly used for making candies: it can also be used to eliminate body odor.
The active ingredient in licorice root extract called glycyrrhetic acid can help get rid of underarm odor even at low concentration of 0.01 to 5 percent.
It’s no wonder, it’s often used as the key component in deodorants, whether powder, cream, stick, roll-on or lotion.
According to Japanese scientists, licorice root extract works by reducing bacterial strains like Staphylococcus epidermidis on the skin.
These bacteria are known to produce diacetyl, a substance that contributes to the repulsive smell coming from the armpits, head and feet.
Licorice root extract does a great job in disrupting the growth and formation of diacetyl.
What You’ll Need:
Add the below code in the section of site
- 1 teaspoon of licorice root extract
- 1 cup of water
- Add licorice root extract to water.
- Use this solution to rinse your underarms after bathing.
- Repeat remedy daily.
Use a solution of hydrogen peroxide as an antibacterial solution
Take 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix with 1 cup of water. Using a cotton washcloth, soak the washcloth in the hydrogen peroxide-water solutions, squeeze out the excess, and wipe your underarms, groin and feet with the solution.
Coupled with the above methods on how to get rid of body odor permanently, one needs to maintain proper hygiene and follow a well-balanced diet to get rid of body odor. Also to smell fresh, follow these additional tips:
- Always wash your clothes after wearing them once.
- Do not wear tight shoes and avoid wearing shoes for long periods of time.
- Manage your stress and anger as they can cause more sweating.
- Opt for cotton clothing rather than synthetic fabrics to avoid trapping sweat and moisture.
Sources and References:
- ↑Erica Kasuli, M.S., R.D et al. Article on “Foods to reduce body odor”, 2009.